FOIA Opinions by Topic
Opinions by topic: (MEETINGS) Electronic/Telephonic Meetings
(List all topics)
- Hill v. Fairfax County School Board (6/7/2012): Supreme Court rules exchange of emails is not a meeting triggering FOIA's requirements.
- FOI Advisory Council Opinion AO-16-02 (11/12/2002): A local body may not meet by any kind of electronic means; all participating members must be physically assembled in one place. The public, however, may participate in a meeting via electronic means.
- FOI Advisory Council Opinion AO-01-01 (1/3/2001): Use of an e-mail network listserv by city council members is an improper electronic meeting under FOIA.
- Attorney General's Opinion 1999 #075 (2/17/2000): Under law as it existed prior to July 1, 1999, advance notice of a telephone meeting didn't need to list all locations from where telephone participation was to take place. Post-July 1, 1999, law says all locations must be identified.
- Attorney General's Opinion 1999 #014 (10/29/1999): Two members of seven-member board may meet informally by phone, provided the two do not constitute a standing committee nor authorized to act on the board's behalf.
- Attorney General's Opinion 1983-84 #440 (6/28/1984): Any official public body action must take place in a meeting where the membership is physically present.
- Roanoke City School Board v. Times-World Corp. (9/9/1983): Pre-arranged telephone conference call among members of a local school board, during which matters proper for an executive or closed session are discussed which are, is not a meeting under FOIA and does not violate the statutory requirement of prior notice to the public.
Making Your FOIA Life Easier
A seminar for state and local records managers at the Library of Virginia
800 E. Broad St., Richmond
Thursday, May 30, 2013
9:00 - 12:00
Click here for a paper registration form OR
(note: you do NOT need a PayPal account to use the PayPal payment page)
About the FOI Blog
Check out our blog for updates on VCOG's work, upcoming events, news and commentary.
Show most recent blog posts
List/search blog posts
FOIA Council Subcommittee on Rights & Responsibilities
FOIA Council Subcommittee on Electronic Meetings
Making Your FOIA Life Easier - a records management seminar
How Many Clicks?
VCOG surveyed all 134 Virginia counties and independent cities and asked,
"How many clicks does it take to get to your local budget?"
Now, click the owl and find out how YOUR locality ranked.
Drive your open government pride
Show your FOIA pride!
Get the new FOIA car magnet.